Saturday, October 20, 2007

My Urologist

I visit a urologist once per year so he can give me a prostate exam. The other day I had to reschedule a looming appointment. The nice lady said he is out of town fishing but his assistant will be happy to help me. No, I said, I'd like my regular doctor, please. Will he be in the following week? Yes, how about 8:30 on Wednesday? That will be fine, thanks.

Good grief, what just happened? Will my experience be less unpleasant because I'm seeing "the regular dude"? Wouldn't some other doctor -- being more strange (and therefore more impersonal) -- make my 22-second ordeal less intolerable? Is it alright that my doctor's prefamiliarity makes him the more desirable choice? Do I have some weird attachment to my urologist? OK, stop thinking about it...

1 comment:

Dan O. said...

Yea, quit thinking so deep about it.
:)

The only thing that's ever bothered me about a prostate exam is, I can't recall the doctor changing gloves while walking down the line of ankle grabbers during our induction physical into the Navy. I mean I'm sure he did, but I just don't remember.

Of course it was 27 years ago now. Maybe I've just forgotten. Or suppressed.