Thursday, June 19, 2008

The OOO Message

"I will be out of the office starting 06/10/2008 and will not return until 06/23/2008"

Did you ever notice how dreadfully useless and stupid these types of messages are? What purpose does the OOO message serve other than: 1) let me know when you're going to be back in the office, presumably to read your non-time-sensitive email, when I don't give a shit in the first place; and 2) send a useless email message into my inbox that I now have to delete!

I don't care if you read my mail or not. I usually send mail for your benefit, not mine. If I need an answer to something I'll use google or come to your door!

The trend seems to be growing, too. I hope you don't mass produce these like people in my office do. It's email, people, hello?!? Email isn't time sensitive. If it is, then you shouldn't be using email; use the telephone or page some one.

I've decided that I'm going to fight back. For every one of these I receive (three of them today), I am going to "Reply with History" back and say: "OK"

One guy in my office appends this to his OOO message: "Please do not continue to e-mail me messages during this absense unless the information/response can await my return. Thanks!"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate getting those messages too!

They are almost as bad as the messages you get from people saying that they can't write back to you at the moment but will later.

Grrrrrrrrr!

Dan O. said...

Never use the stuff. If you're expecting a reply from me and don't get one, as you said, call or page me.

Luckily, I don't use email all that much anyway. Or get phone calls. I never tell people what they want to hear, so they don't contact me except when absolutely necessary.

Call me Maniac said...

I'm with both of you. And I wish I didn't have to use email as much as I do. Makes me want to move into the woods.