Tuesday, October 23, 2007

16 oz Espresso!

Interestingly, the word barista is not included in my copy of the Merriam Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, 10th Ed., 1999, nor is it believed to be spelled correctly by Firefox 2.0.0.8. Maybe it's not very Americanized yet, but I wish it was, because I think it's a cool sounding word.

Speaking of baristas, when one asks if you'd like room for cream, are they asking if you want cream, and, if so, "...you can get it yourself, I'll just leave room for it," or are they asking, "Would you like me to mix the cream in?" I don't use cream, so I don't know what would happen if I said yes (perhaps I'll try that sometime), but occasionally I like the room because it would be slightly stronger with less water, and I fear that if I say yes, they would add it even though I don't want it. I never see a cream container on the counter, however, so I don't understand why they wouldn't just ask, "Would you like cream with that?" It would be nice, maybe, if they could ask, "Would you like room for a strengthener, and, if so, I'll add it for you free of charge?"

While I'm on the subject, one time I ordered a double-espresso in a 16-oz cup thinking I'd get a large quantity of goo to give me a buzz at the state fair. I felt so stupid walking around the fairgrounds with a mostly empty cup. To appear less like the idiot that I am, to my GF I said, "Mmm, gee honey, this is just the way I like it!"

No comments: