Sunday, January 20, 2008

Stevie Ray Vaughan


Stevie Ray Vaughan is one of my favorite guitarists, and I'm very sorry that he's not alive. There are few musicians, dead or alive, whose music makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand straight up.


But I couldn't help notice that, of the thousands of photographs I've seen of this Guitar Saint, a lot of them seem to portray him to be in the middle of a very hard and difficult shit. See for yourself.


The man was very expressive in his guitar playing, that is for darned sure. Do you see what I mean? Oh, there are so many photos of SRV, certainly not all of them portray him this way.


He's really giving it all he's got, isn't he?


The one above looks particularly difficult. This one makes me feel sorry for him, but I don't know why. Can you just imagine when he sings and plays Texas Blues and Rock, he really means it?












But the man sure could play. May he rest in ever-lasting peace, and I hope he's still playing that good ol' Texas Hard Rock Blues somewhere.

6 comments:

Dan O. said...

SRV-blues don't get no betterin dat.

A couple of those pictures, he just looks peaceful in.

The man could play some blues. I have Blues At Sunrise (awesome!), a "Best Of" and The Sky Is Crying". (Yes, it certainly is!) And could listen to them over and over. And have.

Anonymous said...

I wonder what kind of faces he makes when he's having sex?

Anonymous said...

Yeah, he's a fucking legend alright.

I saw him in Australia in the eighties, and I remember exactly where I was when I heard about his death.

I have some live footage of him on a few DVDs and love to watch the change and growth from the early ones to the later ones, and also love the DVD I have of the tribute concert with his bro, Bonnie Raitt, Buddy Guy and others.

Call me Maniac said...

Dan O.: I listen to SRV often, but doing so has the odd effect of making me want to toss my guitar into the garbage can. :-)

P.P.: to be fair to the man, a few of the facial characteristics portrayed by shots included in this post could/may resemble those of man who is about to shoot his load. I could be mistaken, but I trust my instinct here.

Tex: I saw that tribute and it was awesome. I also have a DVD of him performing in "Austin City Limits" a weekly music show on our public broadcasting system. His guitar work is absolutely out of this world.

Anonymous said...

I saw a special on SRV years ago. Brilliant musician.

Anonymous said...

Had a mate around for a jam yesterday, he's 30 and hadn't heard a lot about Stevie Ray, so watched "Live at the Mocambo", and then I showed him Buddy Guy doing "a long, long way from home" on the SRV tribute dvd.

Buddy is so cool. I love the feel he puts into his singing and playing. Just goes to show what a lot of the flashy and fast guitarists are missing.