Friday, July 13, 2007

8 pound baby

Why is it that when new babies are announced the mention always includes the weight of the baby? Adults never include their weight when being introduced.

"Hi, my name is Jim and I'm a 223 pounder. You?"

Why is weight that important? To me, it would be better to say something like, "Little Jeanie was born yesterday, healthy as a strong fart, squiggly and pink, with a voice that would shatter the eardrums of Led Zeppelin."

Of course, there are other attributes to call attention to when being introduced; weight is not the only interesting feature.

"Hi, my name is Jim and I'm regular."

"Hi, my name is Sue and the 14th is my time this month.

"Hello, my name is Harold, and I have a wart on my ass."

OK, that's stretching it. Sorry. I'm just sayin...

No comments: